On today’s article, I am going to talk a little bit about Virtual Private Server (VPS). If you have an online business hosted on a shared server and you started having more traffic you probably noticed some performances issues. The pages are taking a lot longer than usual to load, the website is slow and so on. In this case, you need to consider changing your hosting plan to one that suits you best. You can choose between a VPS or a Dedicated Server. Make your choice based on your needs.
What is a VPS?
VPS stands for Virtual Private Server and, yes, you guessed it, it’s a virtual server. It can host your websites and applications. Compared to a Shared Hosting, the resources are more isolated which improves performance and helps to maintain stability. The CPU and RAM resources are still shared with everyone, but you have an amount allocated just for you. It’s a lot less sharing because there are fewer users on the same physical machine, and as I said it, each of you has a separate allowance. As a result, you will experience better performances. Your websites and applications will load faster.
What features does a Dreamhost VPS include?
- Protected CPU and RAM
- Persistent processes are allowed (and are never killed)
- Ability to alter the memory on the fly, without the need to reboot
- Ability to reboot the server from the panel
- Historical memory and load graphs can be viewed on the panel
- SSD-based drives offering speeds 20x times faster than traditional SATA disk drives
- It is less expensive than Dedicated Hosting.
- No resources are “shared” with others.
- VPS offers a very high level of security, including advanced encryption protocols.
- More powerful than Shared Hosting
- Growth can be handled easily.
- Better performance and faster loading times
- Though a VPS is cheaper than Dedicated Hosting, it is still more costly than a Shared Hosting plan.
- A Virtual Private Server requires regular maintenance including security patches and system updates. Not as much maintenance as a dedicated server, but you’re still responsible for a bit more of the software that you were with a shared hosting plan.
- Not as customisable as a dedicated server.
Our professional team recommends the Virtual Private Server Hosting plan from DreamHost starting from $13.75/mo